View the Steel and Aluminum Initiative Website to find links to program guidelines, an application guide and the application.
The fund provides successful applicants with a non-repayable contribution from $150,000 up to $1 million, to support up to a maximum of 45 percent of eligible project costs.
This is a continuous intake program that runs from March 11, 2019 until all available funds are allocated. Priority will be given to projects submitted before April 8, 2019.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Businesses such as: partnerships, social enterprises, incorporated companies, corporations or co-operatives, or an Indigenous organization such as Indigenous/First Nation/Métis Settlement owned businesses, and all other types of enterprises;
- Employ between 10 to 499 individuals on a full-time basis in Canada;
- Intensive users of steel or aluminum (i.e., steel and/or aluminum expenditures are equal to or greater than 20 percent of total cost of goods sold); and
- Capable of demonstrating plans for projects pursuing productivity enhancements, and/or innovations to augment firm competitiveness.
Funding under this initiative helps small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that use significant amounts of steel and aluminum in their production processes and are looking to adopt innovative technologies to enhance productivity or to increase competitiveness.
The Regional Economic Growth through Innovation Steel and Aluminum Initiative will:
- Assist firms with high-growth potential to scale up and expand;
- Support technology demonstration and the commercialization of new technologies;
- Encourage the early adoption or adaptation of leading-edge technologies and processes to improve productivity; and/or
- Increase businesses’ capacity to grow.